Traumatic Brain Injury Waiver
- For individuals with Traumatic Brain Injury (HCBS/TBI)
- One component of a comprehensive strategy developed by the NYS Department of Health to prevent unnecessary entrances into nursing homes and to help individuals leave nursing homes to live in the community
- Provides 11 Medicaid-funded services needed to assist participants to live in community-based settings and achieve maximum independence; services are used in combination with existing Medicaid services
- Participants may be eligible for rent subsidies and housing supports and limited one-time payment for furniture and household supplies.
- Each recipient must be given the choice of living in the community or in a nursing facility, and – if choosing the community – a living arrangement that can meet his or her needs
- diagnosed with TBI or a related condition,
- eligible for nursing facility level of care,
- enrolled in the Medicaid program, and
- between 18 and 64 years of age, and injured after the age of 18.